Dr. Jens-E. Appell has been Head of Department, Oldenburg Branch for Hearing, Speech and Audio Technology HSA at Fraunhofer IDMT since 2008. His specialist subjects are the loudness perception of persons with normal and impaired hearing, hearing assistance for consumer electronics and acoustic technologies in human-technology interaction. Before this, Appell was Director of the R+D Division 'Embedded Hardware/Software Systems' at the IT institute OFFIS in Oldenburg. His main work focus here was on service-oriented software architectures for building services management in the application fields of home care and in-house energy management. Appell studied Physics in Göttingen and obtained a doctoral degree in 2001 at the Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg under Prof. Dr. Dr. Birger Kollmeier on the subject “Loudness Models for Rehabilitative Audiology”.
- Hearing Aids/Personal Hearing Assistance
- Digital Signal Processing
- Audiological Measurement Methods
- Embedded Hardware and Software Systems
- VDE Verband der Elektrotechnik Elektronik Informationstechnik e.V.
- Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft e.V.
- Universitätsgesellschaft Oldenburg e.V.